Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shopaholic

Hon and I watched "Confessions of a Shopaholic" last night. I must say that liked this movie better than "He's Just Not That Into You". It's not that I can really relate to the movie, but the flow of the story is well constructed compared to the latter. Rebecca Bloomwood (played by Isla Fisher) is kinda like me but I couldn't classify myself as a shopaholic. I know it's kinda conflicting but that's the way I see it.

When I was younger, shopping excites me. I was aware of how credit card works and I considered them as a vice. My parents, especially my mom, take me for clothes shopping ocassionally. But when that shopping day comes, I know it would be a great shopping experience. Though there were times, I wasn't contented with the things mom bought for me. I used to envy my other girl friends who would share stories that they go shopping with their mom every week. They wear new and expensive-looking clothes and dresses every time we go watch a movie or go out on a weekend. I was a spoiled brat since I'm 'bunso' but in another way. My mom didn't spoil me on splurging/buying anything that I want. So I promised myself that when I finish school and have a job, I would spend every penny (err centavo) that I would earn. Ironically, it didn't happen. I've been working for more than a year yet all I do is save. I just spend my money for food, movies and give for house expenses. Weird huh? I dunno.. Maybe because when we were younger we don't really know the other responsibilities as we grow up. All I had in mind is how can I spend money and shopping.

Now that I own a credit card, I use it for shopping. But unlike Rebecca, I know the word "control". I buy the things I need (or sometimes like) depending on the price and quality. I don't consider credit card as a vice now. Credit card can be a friend too you know. Haha! It's a great help especially whenever I run out of cash and I have to purchase something or eat in a restaurant. The only important thing in having a credit card is control. One must have control or else, be prepared and say hello to tons of debts. Buy only what you need but it's also great to reward yourself once in a while. Though just like Rebecca, I drool over clothes, shoes and other girly items. We share the exact reaction whenever we see the sign "SALE". Haha!

To all shopgirls, Confessions of a Shopaholic is a must watch. Believe me, I learned a lot from the movie and it had some laughs at the same time! :)

No comments: